I'm a Justin. What is that? Look who even knows at this point.
Why do I have a website? Basically because I have a huge amount of energy for maths, stats and programming - the triforce of courage that makes up being a data scientist. I'm lucky enough (and good enough at dropping selective truths in job interviews) to be working as a data scientist and research assistant for a couple of different companies.
As a quick about me - I'm 27, grew up in Brisbane, moved to Melbourne at age 24 to follow a girl that I liked. Would highly recommend it, it's the best decision I've made in my life. She is a much better scientist than I am, so her influence will be all over this blog (and maybe a cheeky guest post or two). As well as being a huge math nerd I also do other things sometimes. A life goal of mine is to meet Skrillex. And get a fresh banger released on Triple J. And get good enough from my adult beginner gymnastics classes to do a backflip. And make a synth with my Raspberry Pi. And live in a house with a retractable roof.
What Will be on This Website?
This website will serve a few purposes for me:
- A place to share all of my thoughts and observations about working as a data scientist - essentially a medium to discuss things that do and don't work for me and to find out what others are doing.
- I've always enjoyed tutoring and teaching other people math and programming - there will be a part of the website for these kinds of posts.
- Has been on my to do list for years and my amazing girlfriend encourage me to stop being lazy and just do it.
- You can put your personality into a website in a way that can't be conveyed through other forms of writing.
- My friend Kelsey made the front page image for me and it needed to be shared with the world.
- When a business individual rudely interrupts me with their opinion about how I'm incorrectly interpreting a regression co-efficient, I want to be able to say "My blog can answer that question so I won't waste everyone's time doing it now".
- The Binturong is my favourite animal. No explanation needed.
- Blogs are a great way to be involved with a community and share ideas with people.
What does ShakaShakaWizrd Mean?
Honestly if you've read this far you probably know more about me than you ever wanted to, so the rest is a power summary of things on my resume for the sake of credibility. Hit my LinkedIn DM's if you like what you see.
Do I Have Any Cred?
My path into data science has not been … direct. And not without (what I thought at the time were) setbacks. I will make a blog post about this one day. But for now if the dates below don’t make sense that’s just because they don’t make sense.
Places I've worked
|Queensland University of Technology||Information Analyst||July 2019 - Current|
|Queensland Treasury||Statistician||Feb 2019 - June 2019|
|Monash University||Research Assistant||Oct 2017 - Sept 2018|
|Bupa||Data Scientist||Feb 2018 - Aug 2018|
|Coles||Analyst||Aug 2017 – Oct 2017|
|Telstra||Data Analyst||Sep 2016 – Dec 2016|
|Biarri||Data Analyst||Jan 2015 – Sep 2016|
|Tanda||Data Analyst||Jun 2014 – Jan 2015|
Places I've studied
|University of Melbourne||Masters of Business Analytics||Jan 2017 – Jan 2018|
|University of Queensland||Bachelor of IT||March 2013 – July 2015|
|University of Queensland||BSc (Extended Mathematics Major)||March 2009 – July 2012|
If you have any suggestion about the site, or just want to tell me that you like or hate me, feel free to reach out through any of the ways shown on the front page (so @shakashakawizrd on Twitter or email at email@example.com).
And as always - 🤙 🤙 🧙